Sunday 19 October 2008

I made my way across the pond!!

On 10/12/2008, I landed at Heathrow Airport and my new flatmate, Elizabeth-Anne, met me to help me navigate my way through my new home. She grabbed 2 of my suitcases and I pulled 2, and we took the Heathrow Express train to Victoria Station, and then we took a cab to the flat. It soon became clear that I would not have been able to do this on my own. I was so thankful for her help. The fact that I hadn't slept the entire 8-hour flight didn't seem to matter. Before I had left my friend, Sara, had recommended that I try to "take it all in" when I landed so that I'd remember it forever, and that's what I was trying to do.

After some settling in, we left to go walk around and grabbed breakfast for a late lunch/early dinner (we both love a late breakfast). What a beautiful day we were given! We were even able to sit outside. Later, my friend, Rosie who moved here a year and ago from Dallas, met us for coffee.

When we got back home, Elizabeth-Anne helped me make my bed and I unpacked some more. Then I took a shower and we worked on getting wireless internet set up. I had shipped over a wireless router from home, and we were so proud of ourselves when it started working...however we soon realized that we were no longer connected to the internet and we had blown the router! Guess it wasn't meant to be used in the UK :(



On Sunday, I set out on my own and rode the tube (subway) to the hospital I'm working at: Northwick Park. It took me about an hour, with a few hiccups, which I thought was pretty good for my first try! I also went to PC World and bought another wireless router, a hairdryer, and a power strip. It was another unseasonably warm day.










My first day of work in London was really great! The jet lag wasn't too bad, and I made it to the hospital by 9:00am. I know I am going to love all the girls I work with. This picture was taken at the end of the long day...so it may look like the jet lag caught up with me after all ;)












Wednesday was my first day it rained in London...and the first time I got sort-of lost. I thought I was getting off on Locket Road, and I had even asked the bus driver if the bus stopped at Locket Road (which he confirmed!), however the stop I was supposed to have gotten off at was a cross-street on Locket and therefore Locket was never mentioned. Locket was the street we were travelling on---arrggh. I ended up riding that bus for 2 hours and finally finding the school where I was meeting a colleague. And to top it off, that's not even one of my schools-- but now i know where it is! On the way home I bought a pumpkin. I left the sticker on it when I took the picture b/c it made me laugh. The sticker says, "Large Pumpkin"! I thought our flat needed a little holiday decoration.









The rest of the week went really great. On Thursday I went to one of the high schools I'll be working in (I'll be in 6 total), and it was SO GOOD to be back into the classroom with the students. It was comforting to know that not too much is different here than it is at home. The staff was also amazing, and I love the fact that having tea is a central part of the day.

On Friday I was with my line manager at my main high school, where they have a speech and language base. It will be great to have her nearby to ask questions b/c she knows the school inside and out since she helped develop the program for the last 2 years. She's a brand-new auntie, so we have that in common too.


Yesterday I returned the favor to Elizabeth-Anne and helped her take 2 suitcases to Victoria Station and sent her off to Heathrow for a week's holiday in Dallas. Since then it has been a little weird to be in London by myself. I did something WAY out of my comfort zone, though. My sister's friend, Colleen, who I met in Puerto Rico, a cousin here and she gave me his email. He invited me to a late lunch he was having for friends at his house. I figured out the way and went alone. I didn't know anyone- but they couldn't have been nicer. It was lovely! One guy told me that an English tradition was to lie down and touch your face to the floor upon entering someone's house...at least I knew he was kidding. The menu consisted of game/pheasant pie, venison pie, and rabbit pie (all which I was having for the first time), mash (mashed potatoes), boiled cabbage, and green beans. Good thing I wasn't a vegetarian. It was all delicious and there were rumors Hugh has plans to open a restaurant some day.



Today was another full day. I found a little church online last night and found it after a little of walking around. As I was walking in, they were singing a song I was very familiar with, so that seemed to be a good sign. It was VERY SMALL, only about 50-60 people in attendance, which is very different. But I think I will try it again next week. I also trekked out to IKEA in Wembley to get a duvet cover, some hangers, some food storage containers, and some under-the-bed boxes.

I'm hoping to keep up with this as often as I can, so hopefully from now on the entries will not be written 8 days after they've happened. But we'll see! Lots to do :)
Cheers!

19 comments:

Dana Robertson said...

Yeah, Tricia! I'm so excited about your blog! I will be a very loyal "follower" so you better keep it up to date! :) I love you and miss you! Dana

Beth said...

It sounds like you are doing great! You are so brave. I can't wait to hear about all of your adventures! Miss you already.

Bob Laing said...

What a clever idea - your own blog to keep us all up to date on your new adventures in London! The pictures of your flat (sent under a separate e-mail) were great. Your new home looks quite elegant, comfortable and very homey. Hope you check in daily as that is exactly what I intend to do! Love you.

Jennifer Nimmo said...

Hi Tricia, I love reading all your stories. Sounds like you'll know London inside and out before too long. Love and miss you!

Unknown said...

TRICIA!!!! I knew you would make a fabulous Brit! I am so excited for you and glad to hear that things are going well. Keep living the adventure, girl! I love that I get to read all about your wonderful journey-very impressive.

Stacie said...

So proud of you for stretching your neck a bit and making the move to the U.K. And so happy you're blogging about it. I look forward to hearing more about your life over there. Miss you.

Stacie

Ashley said...

Yeah, Tricia! So glad to be connected with you. I am getting my stuff together from my weekend trips in UK and sending it to you just fyi. Love,

Ashley

Steph Snider said...

Hey Tricia! It's so exciting to read what you've done so far...definitely will be reading...so keep us up to date!! Love & miss you!
Steph

healthtech said...

Trish, I'm so proud of you - blogging already! ;) It all sounds fantastic. Keep up the posting, its great to follow along in your journey. Many blessings, Heather

susannah hooper said...

Trish!
It sounds like you are off to a wonderful start in the UK! I am so excited to keep reading your log and keeping up with your adventures! Please keep us updated. I hope to see you sometime when you make it back to the States.
Susannah

Unknown said...

Tricia!! I am so proud of you and so excited for you! Thanks for the updates and I am excited to learn more about that part of the world! I am envious and will have to live vicariously through you! Love you and hope to see you soon!
Lisa

Seth & Stephanie Parker said...

I am so impressed! For starters, I cannot believe you contacted Colleen's cousin so fast (but very glad you did). And furthermore, did you eat that food? I might just have to say that I had a huge meal before coming. :) Don't wait too long before adding more adventures. Hopefully, we will be able to talk soon. Love and miss ya!

msauter said...

Tricia I am so happ for you! Sounds like you are figuring it all out. I am with your sister, I cannot believe you ate all of that crazy food. Can't wait to read the next entry. Stay safe

msauter said...

Tricia!! I cannot believe you are there. Love the blog and I can't wait to read the entries. As your sister said, I cannot believe you ate all of that crazy stuff! Stay safe.

Abbi said...

Tricia!! So good to see you again! Ashley let me know about your move. How exciting for you to be an SLP in London! I'm sure your kiddos love hearing your TX accent! Have so much fun, and I can't wait to see your subsequent entries! YAY!! :)
Abbi, from OSU grad school :)

Unknown said...

yippee for Trisha! I am so excited for you. It sounds like you have already made great strides in doing new things and conquering fears! That is the way to live life - as an adventure. You are on a grand adventure. I am definately living vicariously through you. I will be on this page as I can be to check in on you. It gets a little hard with 3 girls. I will also make sure my sisters have the blog information so they can enjoy sharing the experience with you too. Love you much & God Bless

Bob Laing said...

Love your blog, seeing where you have been and knowing you are having a great first couple of weeks in London. Lots of love, Dad.

Bob Laing said...

Love to see the new entries in your blog. I am delighted that you are really enjoying London, your job and making new friends. Your blog is quite interesting and informative about your new life as a "Londoner". Great. Lots of love, Dad.

Dana Robertson said...

Hey, Trish! Just wanted you to know that I'm still keeping up! I love your pictures! Halloween looks like a blast... I'm glad you found some festive friends!